Good day, proud parents. Does your kid show interest in playing the guitar. Who knows you might already be looking after a child prodigy.
Kids do learn fast because they think enthusiastically more than adults. Everything to them seems easy and they always look promising on what they do. So as parents without having any second thoughts of missing out on the opportunity for our children. Injustice stories provide what’s best for them. In this case, introducing them to music as early.
Finding a decent sounding playable guitar to correspond with the child’s age is not any more difficult. These days, there are a number of miniature guitars that follow a standard based on known models. This goes the same with full-size guitars that are suited for bigger kids and kids nearing their teens.
Starting with an entry-level electric guitar and a small amplifier is a little bit expensive than buying a sensibly priced acoustic guitar. Both instruments are great for beginners to learn with no doubt about it. However the much cooler appearance, better-amplified sound, and overall play especially when overdriven belongs to the best electric guitar for kids. This could be the deciding factor for parents and the kid’s own excellent personal choice of a beginner guitar.
TOP 15 Best Electric Guitar For Kids
Last update on 2020-05-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Squier Mini Strat
- 3/4 size Stratocaster
- Hardwood body
- C-profile maple neck
- 20 medium-size frets laurel fingerboard
- SSS config pick-ups controlled by 5-way blade style switch, master volume, and master tone knobs.
- Tuning machines are sealed standard die-cast
- Bridge is 6-saddle vintage-style hardtail
This mini Stratocaster guitar from Squier by Fender is the smaller version of the brand’s Bullet Strat. It has a 3/4 size laminated hardwood body available in different solid finishes partially covered by a 1-ply scratchplate. The iconic headstock and C-profile neck is made of maple top of by a laurel fingerboard with 20 medium-size frets.
Delivering the bright tones for the guitars are SSS config pick-ups controlled by 5-way blade style switch, master volume and master tone knobs. Bridge is 6-saddle vintage-style hardtail and tuning machines are sealed standard die-cast.
Jackson JS1X Dinky Minion
- 2/3 scale mini superstrat
- Poplar body
- Thin maple neck
- 24 jumbo frets amaranth fingerboard
- Jackson designed humbuckers pick-ups on the neck and bridge controlled by a 3-position switch, master volume, and tone
- Sealed chrome die-cast tuners
- 6-saddle string-through-body hardtail with block saddles bridge
Here is a good deal for little shredders out there coming from Jackson Guitars, the Jackson JS1X Dinky Minion. This mini superstrat is a 2/3 scale electric guitar. Body tonewood is popular in an assortment of bright and darker color finishes that kids will be delighted to choose from. The maple neck has a satin-smooth finished then it is combined with a 24 jumbo frets amaranth fingerboard garnished by sharks fin inlay markers.
The warm fat sound of the Dinky minion is produced by two hum-free Jackson designed humbuckers place on the neck and bridge controlled by a 3-position switch, master volume, and tone. Other hardware is 6-saddle string-through-body hardtail with block saddles bridge and sealed chrome die-cast tuners.
Ibanez GRGM21 MiKro
- 3/4 scale mini superstrat
- Poplar body
- Thin maple neck
- 24 frets maple fingerboard
- Two Infinity passive ceramic humbucking pick-ups with a master volume, master tone, and a 5-way pick-up position switchblade
- Chrome tuners
- Ibanez F106 bridge
Another mini shred guitar on our list to be played by younger beginners and for those looking for a travel electric guitar is the Ibanez GRGM21 Mikro. I think it is safe to say that some of these guitar features are patterned over to the Ibanez RG Genesis due to the striking resemblance on the body cut, neck shape, and the number of color finishes it is offered.
To be as close to the RG series. The guitar is equipped with two Infinity passive ceramic humbucking pick-ups with simple controls to dial in tones, a master volume, master tone, and a 5-way pick-up position switchblade.
Yamaha Pacifica Series PA012 GigMaker
- Full-size double-cutaway electric guitar
- Agathis body
- C-shape maple neck
- 22 frets snorkeling fingerboard
- SSH pick-ups configuration controlled by a 5-way pick-up selector switch, master volume, and push/pull tone knob
- Die-cast tuners and tremolo style bridge
Package includes the Yamaha GA15 15 watts amplifier, clip-on tuner, soft gig bag, strap, picks, cable, and quick-start DVD
It can either be bought by guitar alone to pair it with a choice amp or through the GigMaker package. The Yamaha Pacifica PA012 is one of the good sounding and playable entry-level electric guitar in the market today to recommend for beginners.
The Yamaha Pacifica 012 features a double-cutaway body design made of solid aga this with a bolt-on neck made of maple and has a 22 frets snorkeling fretboard fitted with white position dots. For sound, it has two single-coil pick-ups placed on the neck, middle, and humbucker for the bridge controlled by a 5-way pick-up selector switch, a push/pull split-coil tone and master volume control knobs. Holding the strings and keeping it in perfect pitch for the guitar are die-cast tuners and tremolo style bridge.
Squier Affinity Stratocaster HSS Pack
- Alder body
- C-shape maple neck
- 21 medium jumbo frets laurel fingerboard
- SSH pick-ups configuration controlled by a master volume, tone 1 for neck pick-up and tone 2 for middle pick-up.
- 6-saddle vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge and die-cast tuning machines
- Includes the Fender Frontman 15G 15 watts amplifier, padded gig bag, picks, cable and strap
What could we possibly say about more on this guitar? Definitely the Squier Affinity Stratocaster is in every top list of choices and always going to be the guitar to recommend for a budding player on a minimum budget.
It has the classic look of the Fender Stratocaster, but still slightly smaller in true comparison to a Mexican and American made strat. It has an ergonomically contoured double cutaway alder body with a polyurethane finish in sunburst and solid finishes protected by a 1-ply pickguard. The neck is C-shape top of by a 21 medium jumbo frets laurel fingerboard marked by inlay dots. Pick-ups configuration is two standard single-coil plus a humbucker bridge pick-up controlled by master volume, tone 1 for neck pick-up and tone 2 for middle pick-up. 6-saddle vintage-style synchronized tremolo bridge and die-cast tuning machines for the strings.
ESP LTD MH-10
- Basswood body
- U-shape maple neck
- 24 extra-jumbo frets engineered hardwood fingerboard
- ESP Designed LH-150 humbucker neck and bridge pick-up controlled by a master volume, single tone knob and 3-way pick-up selector switch
- LTD die-cast tuners
- TOM string-through-body bridge
The ESP LTD MH-10 together with the LP style EC-10 and Viper-10 is the entry-level guitar the LTD brand of ESP is offering for vegetarians. It has a lightweight comfortable arch top body in black made from basswood and has a bolt-on thin U-shape maple neck having 24 extra-jumbo frets engineered hardwood fingerboard complete with inlay dots.
This shredder guitar is powered by two hum canceling ESP Designed LH-150 for the neck and bridge controlled by a master volume, single tone knob, and 3-way pick-up selector switch. Bridge design is TOM string-through-body and the reverse headstock it is known for has the LTD die-cast tuners.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT
- Les Paul
- Mahogany body
- C-profile maple neck
- 22 medium-size frets rosewood fingerboard
- Two zebra-coil pick-ups for the neck and bridge controlled by a 3-way toggle switch, separate volume and tone knob for each pick-up
- Premium die-cast machine heads
- Stop bar and tune-o-Matic bridge
Ending the list of electric guitars for kids and early teens as well is the Epiphone Les Paul Studio LT. Unlike the Epiphone Les Paul Special II on a package, this LP guitar is a lot closer to the higher end Epiphone and Gibson made Les Paul model even though the specie of wood and hardware components used on building the guitar is just average by standards and far way less to compare.
The LP body style of the guitar is crafted using mahogany top in two-color sunburst or ebony finish. The neck is bolt-on using plate and screws with 22 medium-size frets rosewood fingerboard. Supplying the sound are two zebra-coil pick-ups for the neck and on the bridge controlled by a 3-way toggle switch, separate volume and tone knob for each pick-up. All metal hardware includes the tune-o-Matic bridge and premium die-cast machine heads.
Fender Squier Mini Strat
- Fender Squier 3/4 Size Kids Mini Strat Electric Guitar – Red Bundle with Tuner, Strap, Picks, Fender Play Online Lessons, and Austin Bazaar Instructional DVD
- 3/4-size body; 22.75″ scale length
- “C”-shaped maple neck with 20-fret fingerboard
There’s a lot to love about this Fender Squier Mini Strat. Sure, it may look cute and adorable, but this electric guitar could be a beast. Made by one of the most trusted brand names for guitars, this mini version of a Bullet Strat does not fall behind in quality.
What I like best about this guitar is the fact that its neck and fretboard have Squier standards. It’s comfortable to play and easy on the hands, making it one of the best choices for younger learners and their small hands.
- An affordable guitar with a set that has it all
- Amp, cable, tuner, strap, and picks
- Instructional DVD and polishing cloth included for guitar maintenance
- Comfortable to play with
- Ultra-lightweight Built for easy playability
- Guitar strings may go out of tune easily but can be easily replaced with newer strings
- Has a slight buzz The amp could be better in quality
- Not a guitar to advance your skills with
Yamaha Gigmaker Electric Guitar
- Yamaha Gigmaker EG Electric Guitar Pack with Amplifier, Gig Bag, Tremolo Bar, Tuner, Instructional DVD, Cable, Strap, Strings, and Picks – Black
- PAC012 Black
- 15-watt Yamaha amp
As we all know, Yamaha is best known for its beginner-friendly options. It’s no surprise that their guitars are well-built for younger beginners as well. The Yamaha Gigmaker has all the qualities of a good entry-level guitar for kids.
This guitar holds a tune well enough, it’s built for easy playability, and best of all, it even has a tremolo bridge system just like any other full-scale Yamaha.
I also appreciate that this deal comes with fun and exciting accessories. It comes with an amplifier, a gig bag, a tremolo bar, a tuner, cables, straps, guitar strings, and picks. Plus, it also has an instructional DVD – a must for young learners of the electric guitar.
- Good quality well-made guitar
- Does not look like a toy
- Comes with a whole package of accessories along with the guitar
- Can be tuned easily
- Great for beginners learning how to tune their guitars
- Amp does not sound great
- Compromising the sound of the guitar
- Built for practice purposes
- Not a guitar to advance your skills with
Davison Electric Guitar Package
- Full-Size Black Electric Guitar with Amp, Case and Accessories Pack Beginner Starter Package
- Full-Scale Black Electric Guitar with Maple Neck
- Humbucker Pickup For Rock Sound
Yes, the price might seem suspicious but as we like to say, never judge a guitar based on its price tag. There are plenty of reasons why your kid should start with a Davison electric guitar. For one, it is made with considerably high-quality materials – even if it is a guitar that’s made for kids and younger learners.
You get the most value out of your money with this Davison because you get the same standards as a full-scale guitar.
It has a wonderful fretboard that’s great for small hands and comes in a comfortable shape that beginners will love. But what won me over was the humbucker pickup on this guitar.
It’s got a good-quality humbucker that was created specifically for that ultimate rock sound. So if you’ve got a kid who aspires to be a rock star, this is the guitar to buy for their birthday.
- Made with durable materials
- Has a great built with a beautiful finish
- Comes with a better guitar amp than the ones in other packages in this list
- Comes with a case strap
- Pitch pipe picks and a string winder cord
- A perfect set for beginners
- Tuners are a bit flimsy
- Disrupting the quality of sound
- Other accessories in the pack could be a lot better in quality
Rise by Sawtooth Electric Guitar
- Rise by Sawtooth ST-RISE-ST-3/4-BLK-KIT-1 Electric Guitar Pack, Black
- Basswood Body, Maple Neck
- Maple Fretboard with Dot Inlays
If there’s a guitar for kids that think about style other than quality, it’s the Rise by Sawtooth electric guitar. It has a stunning design comparable to other guitars in the Rise by Sawtooth catalog – it definitely does not look like a toy, a good plus for any kid who wants to play like a pro.
This guitar also does not discriminate – it is available for both right-handed and left-handed players! But the best thing of all for me is the fact that this guitar is built to last. It is made of top grade materials, compared to other guitars for kids.
Personally, I want my kids to remember their first guitars and this guitar is definitely on my to-buy list. You don’t just want a guitar that looks timeless – you want one that doesn’t age too fast no matter how many years have passed, or how many times your kid plays with it.
- Made of great quality materials comparable to higher-end brands at an affordable price
- Available in right-handed and left-handed
- Configurations in full size or 3/4 size scale to accommodate players of any size
- Also includes a lot of accessories that are great for beginners
- Portable amp, guitar strap, guitar cable, gig bag, pitch pipe, 3 pick sampler, and online lessons
- The price may have compromised the guitar’s craftsmanship quality
- Has a non-adjustable pole piece single humbucker
Squier Short Scale Strat
Squier by Fender Short Scale Stratocaster – Brown Sunburst Bundle with Frontman 10G Amp, Cable, Tuner, Strap, Picks, and Austin Bazaar Instructional DVD
Begin your child’s musical journey with an electric guitar that promises superior quality. As they say, learning with a guitar that produces a better sound makes all the difference. The precision and stability of a Fender guitar can teach your kid how to identify a good-sounding tune.
Fender is also known for its craftsmanship so you can definitely expect top-notch craftsmanship – even if it’s just a guitar for kids.
- Made by a trusted brand
- Backed by a 1-year warranty
- Includes a 10-watt guitar amplifier
- Picks, cable, and strap
- Produces a Fender quality sound in a design that accommodates beginners
- One of the more expensive options in this list
- The sound quality on the amp may not meet expectations
Smartxchoices Kids Electric Guitar
Smartxchoices 30″ Black Kids Electric Guitar with 5W Amp & Much More Guitar Combo Accessory Kit (Black)
Recommended for children 3 years and up, this mini electric guitar set has an attractive shiny black color and smooth finish. The black finish over wood grain is a very appealing effect you don’t see often, and the light wood neck stands out against the dark black body to make for a beautiful and charming guitar.
Made with a hardwood body and rosewood fretboard (22 frets); The strings are easy to press down on, passive electronics for a rich, full sound.
If you’re looking for a starter guitar that has practically everything your child might need, you might want to consider this Smartxchoices guitar. At a very affordable price, you get a well-made full-size guitar and a guitar bag. It also comes with a bag, a 5-watt guitar strap, guitar cable, additional strings, and 2 picks.
If the accessories don’t win you over, perhaps the guitar will. The 30” size is perfect for small hands to manage. It is made of hardwood and its fingerboard is in rosewood – the same material advanced-level guitars have.
- Comes with a lot of starter accessories
- A good size guitar for young children to play with
- No assembly required everything is prepared and ready to play
- Quality of the accessories could be better
- Intonation may need some work
RockJam RJEG02 Electric Guitar
RockJam 6 ST Style Electric Guitar Super Pack with Amp, Gig Bag, Strings, Strap, Picks, Sunburst (RJEG02-SK-SB)
Full-size black Rock Jam electric guitar with spare strings, guitar picks, and a strap 10-watt amplifier with headphone output with guitar connector cable
Looking for a guitar that could help your child learn some serious rock? This guitar might just be the trick. The RockJam RJEG02 comes in the iconic ST design with a high gloss finish that will make your child look like a pro.
Their attention to detail never fails to amaze me, even at this super affordable price. One thing’s for sure – the RJEG02 does not compromise on quality as it has great quality metal gear heads and a solid basswood body to generate a truly refined sound.
The starter package comes with a 10-watt amp, a gig bag, strap, lead, picks, and spare strings. But what I really enjoy about this guitar is its three single-coil pickups and also its whammy bar – that will surely keep your kids busy as they advance their guitar skills.
- Has great pickups and a whammy bar for versatile playing and string bending licks
- Comes with useful accessories for a starter guitar
- Purchase of this guitar includes two months of free lessons from “Take Lessons”
- Also comes at a bigger price
LyxPro Complete Beginner Starter Kit
LyxPro 39 inch Electric Guitar Kit Bundle with 20w Amplifier, All Accessories, Digital Clip-On Tuner, Six Strings, Two Picks, Tremolo Bar, Shoulder Strap, Case Bag Starter kit Pack Full Size
COMPLETE GUITAR SET | Ultimate Starter Package Includes Full-Size Guitar & All the Parts & Equipment They Need to Rock Straight Out the Box | Perfect Choice for Novice & Intermediate Players
39 INCH ELECTRIC GUITAR | Perfect for beginner and intermediate players Plug-In Guitar Features High-Quality Materials Including Premium Rosewood Fingerboard, Canadian Maple Neck, Volume/Tone, S-S-S pickups, Knobs & More
If you’re on the hunt for a more professional-looking electric guitar starter kit, the LyxPro Complete Beginner Starter Kit has everything you need. This starter kit offers something bigger and perhaps better for the serious young learner.
Coming in at 39”, this full-size guitar is on the larger side compared to other guitars on this list. It is a durable 6-string guitar with a solid wood body, rosewood fingerboard, and a maple neck. It also has the S-S-S pickups, one-way tremolo, a pick-up switch, plus volume and tone controls.
But what really caught my eye here is the list of accessories that comes with this guitar. Included in the kit is a 20-watt amp – also bigger than other starter kits that have a 5 or 10-watt amp. It also has a digital clip-on tuner, 2 picks, shoulder strap, and a bag
- A high-quality guitar with awesome professional features
- Comes with better quality accessories
- Including a 20-watt amp and a digital clip-on tuner
- A bit on the pricier side compared to other options on this list
How To Choose The Best Electric Guitar for Kids?
Having a kid who loves to rock is a blessing. Whether they are training to become the next guitar legend, or if they just simply enjoy the music, it is crucial for parents to choose the right guitar.
The best kid’s electric guitar should motivate them to practice and perfect their skills. That said, their electric guitars should not just sound great, but it should also feel great.
As we all know, it’s harder for kids to focus – especially when they’re so excited about something. Set them in the right direction by picking a guitar that catches their eye.
What may be beautiful to you might not be similar to their personal preferences. Another tip is to consider the comfortability and the playability of the guitar.
Pay attention to guitar sizes and allow your child to try it out and let them tell you what feels right for them.
Lastly, it would be great if the guitar of their choice came with all the cool accessories. Make sure that they are indeed helpful in their practice and if not, the most important thing is that they start learning with a guitar.
Is It Better to Learn Electric or Acoustic Guitar First?
The answer to this question really depends on the child’s goal and your budget. Typically, acoustic guitars are easy to set up and children can immediately start practicing. On the other hand, electric guitar requires a bit of setup first before your child can start playing.
If you think your child wants to learn the acoustic guitar, check out our best recommended acoustic guitars for kids. Or you can check our full list of best kids’ guitar.
How About Amps?
Some of the guitars listed here already have pre-bundled amplifiers included. However, if you opt for an electric guitar only, and want to buy a separate amplifier, we’d recommend Fender Champion 20 Amplifier, which is a really good practice amp for beginners.
What is the best kids’ electric guitar?
The best electric guitar for kids is the Squier by Fender Mini Strat. The ¾ body size, 22.75” scale length, and the “C”-shaped profile neck specs are just enough for any beginner kids to play comfortably. It’s a good guitar for kids ages 6 and up.
First of all, it’s a Fender. And second of all, it has all the good quality features needed to be a mini Hendrix. Plus, mom and dad’s pockets won’t be empty after purchasing. Everybody wins and everyone’s happy.
Online lessons for electric guitars can be found in many places but the real thing to ponder upon is finding the best electric guitar for kids. We think the major problem of finding the best electric guitar for your kid has been solved with the help of this article.